Monday, June 30, 2014

Fun and Firecrackers!

Hello Everyone!

You know, missionaries work really hard everyday so we try to insert a little comic relief whenever we can and this week was no different!

It all started on Wednesday. This wasn't just any Wednesday...it was Wacky Wednesday! We went through all these old clothes other Sisters had left behind. Now these clothes just weren't old, they were all so dang ugly!! We started putting them on and we looked... well, we look horrendous!I dared Sister Hart to wear something out of the box to work in. She, in turn, dared me. I'm sure you've all figured out by now that I'm not one to turn down a dare so we both picked outfits for each other and out the door we went. We picked a theme of animal prints. I was zebra print and she was cheetah print. The first comment Sister Hart got was some random little girl screaming at her "pangit!" (which means ugly) and a little boy calling her a bukla (or a cross dresser/gay). I didn't think she looked that bad! I, on the other hand, got compliments about how "maganda" or beautiful I looked. It was a nice boost to my confidence...HA!

Maganda, eh???
Then came Thursday when Sister Ete and I got home a little early and decided to have a little bit of fun. We got into the apartment, turned off all the lights and waited for the other sisters. We had heaps of baby powder in our hands. As soon as the other sisters unlocked the door, I jumped out and screamed "PRANK WAR!" and blew the baby powder at them. I got Sister Hart really good so she started chasing me in the apartment with a dirty mop that had been on the porch. Now the lights were off and we couldn't see anything. It was chaos!! Electric fans were falling, toes were being stubbed on desks, and there was a whole lot of screaming!! It was so. much. FUN! 
Armed , ready, and waiting!!!
Then we decided to have a little family home evening. It was all nice and peaceful until we got to the games part. Of course if there are games, there is a punishment when you get out. This punishment was to draw a part on your face with a marker.  Eventually the marker stopped working. Sister Manilingan handed me a new Sharpee to draw on Sister Hart's face. Now Sister Manilingan wasn't aware that Sharpees are perminent, but I sure was! It was payback time for that dirty mop in my face! (Let me just interject here that the next day all of our faces were marker free!) I drew half of a mustache on Sister Hart's face seeing as the other half had already been completed! When she realized that I was using a Sharpee, she grabbed it away from me, and she and Sister Ete tried to pin me down to draw on my face. Luckily, I have Chase for a little brother so all those times running away from him and getting out of him pinning me down really paid off! Those two Polys couldn't hold me down! I escaped but later let them draw all over my face with eyeliner...ya know, just to be fair and stuff. 

I'll get you, my pretty!
Unibrowed and moustachioed!!!
On Friday, we had exchanges and I got to work with Sister Manilingan. We had a great time and I even got her to run on the hanging bridge. Well, it was more of a fast walk, but it was raining so I gave her the title of bridge runner anyway! 

Sister Manilingan - bridge runner!
As we worked we were able to visit my favorite family, the Dandays.  People say that you are assigned to a specific area at a specific time in order to help someone only you can help. Well, for me, it's the Dandays! They were about to give up on the missionaries but felt like they should let them come and teach one last time. That time was my first day in the area. I don't know why or how but the family and I just make an instant connection. They started to take the lessons serious and really wanted to know if the Gospel was true. They started to read the Book of Mormon and pray to know if it was true. They will be baptized in July. The mom really opened up to me about this during one visit, and by the end we were both in tears. She was just thanking me for all I have done for her. I honestly didn't think I had such an effect on them, but now I know for a fact that Heavenly Father places us in other people's paths for a reason. I will never forget this family! They have two little girls and a little boy on the way. And here is the best part: They were going to name the little boy John Andrew, because all of their kids are J.A. names (Joyce Ann & Julie Ann), but now they are going to name him... drumroll please... Millerlann! The first thing that popped into my head when she told me that was "Oh, that poor child will be teased his whole life!" and then, of course, "AWWWW!" I still can't believe that they are naming a kid after me! A living, breathing child will carry on the name of Miller in the 'Peens long after I am gone. That's cray. :)

Well, that's all for this week! I love you all so much!
-Sister Miller

P.S.  Here's a special shout out to my mom who sends the BEST boxes.  Last week I received an "Independence Day Celebration in a Box" that included red, white and blue everything...headbands, rings, necklaces, flags, decorations, and even a few incendiaries! (Hehehe!)  Even though I am the only American in my apartment, you can be sure we will be celebrating on July 4th in style.  Thanks, Mom!

Proud to be an American!



No comments:

Post a Comment