Monday, June 2, 2014

Fully Filipino!

What a week! I love it here in Masinloc! My new companion is awesome and we are really getting work done! Last week we got the most lessons as a companionship out of the WHOLE mission!! We set a goal to get the most member present lessons, most new investigators, most investigators at sacrament, and most total lessons for this week! I know we can do it if we really focus and give it our all! I know when we give it our all, Heavenly Father is there to fill up the rest!

Man I had the weirdest experience ever this week. So we went to a less-active members house and they really, REALLY wanted me to pray in English. So I did. Well I tried. It was so dang hard!! I don't know what happened to me! I hadn't said a prayer in English in about 10 months! I just kept slipping back into Tagalog. It's like I've gone fully Filipino!!

Speaking of being fully Filipino, I proved just how Filipino I am with one of my investigators. To get to their house, we have to cross a long hanging bridge over the water. Now this bridge is not what I would call sturdy. It is falling down on one side and VERY shaky. It is about 35 meters long. Anyways when we were about to cross it, we saw a little boy running across it. I was shocked! That boy was cray! Then my investigator dared me to do it. HECK NO! Then he started saying how I was scared and how I probably couldn't do it anyway. Wait a minute......I'm Sister Miller....I do what I want.... Nobody talks about me like that! Well the next thing I know, I'm running like a banshee across this shaky bridge, screaming the whole time, with a whole group of Filipinos on the other side cheering me on! IT WAS AWESOME!! My heart was racing but I did it! Then I dared my investigator to do it. He wouldn't. Chicken! :)

This is the hanging bridge....

....and me walking sedately across it next time.  No more running!

I think there is something here that can be applied in all of our lives. One, never turn down a dare! Two, when we come across long, scary bridges in our lives, maybe a big decision or a hard trial we are going through, we just have to take a deep breath and do it! Not just slowly or grudgingly but RUN! Put your trust in the Lord and all things will be possible! 

I love it here in the Philippines. I love teaching and getting to know the people. I feel of their sweet, humble spirits everyday. I love being able to share this Gospel with them and help them grow and progress in their testimonies of Christ. I can't believe that I'm already over half way finished with my mission. Next thing I know, I'll be on an airplane headed home. I am going to make the most of every second here and run across every bridge I come to, literally and figuratively. 

I love you all so much!
-Sister "Daredevil" Miller

Trying to get some fresh mangos...yummy!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment