Monday, September 1, 2014

Hard Work Works!

This week I have seen how hard work really pays off. We had been trying all week to find new investigators and although we were able to teach many new people, we had yet to find a family. It was Sunday night around 7:30. We were really close to the apartment and could have easily just gone home, seeing as we are suppose to be in at 8, but both Sister Ruga and I felt like we should just keep I2L-ing (Inviting to learn or basically knocking on doors and asking if you can share with them) even if we hadn't had much success the whole day. We I2L-ed almost the whole street where our apartment is. We didn't get into a single house. Now this is when that little voice in your head starts saying, "Hey, you've done enough. It's okay to go home now." We were tired. It was late. The next day was P-day. We could have easily stopped but here is where the lesson comes in. We didn't stop. We kept going. We got rejected door after door after door after door. But we didn't stop. 

That's when we got to the last house on the street. It was dark and we weren't sure if anyone was home. (Sidenote: In the Philippines most houses have gates around them so the concept of 'knocking on doors' doesn't really work. Instead you yell out 'tao po' and wait for a response. 'Tao po' roughly translates to 'people please') We yelled out 'tao po'. No response. We yelled out again. No response. We tried one final time. Still nothing. At least we tried, right? Then something inside of me just wouldn't let me walk away. I was just kind of standing there, waiting. At the time I had no idea why, but within a few seconds someone walked out of the house. It was a woman in her upper 30s. She quickly welcomed us in! We not only taught her, but also her whole family of 6! They said that they could already feel the Spirit as we taught and committed to baptism in September. That was indeed a miracle of the Lord. 

There's no doubt in my mind that anything is possible with God. I know that if He wanted, we could have gotten into each and every house that we went to but how easy would that be? This is the work of salvation. It's not easy. Jeffrey R. Holland once said. "Why would we think this work would be easy for us when it was never, ever easy for Him?" I've probably already shared that quote with you because I love it. It's so true! I've learned here on my mission that as we give it our all to stand up for Christ, He will do His part and stand up for us. 

We did our part  and He blessed us with a family. I can't stop thinking about what would have happened if we just went home early. Maybe we would have eventually found this family, maybe not. I am so grateful that I was able to have this experience. I am so grateful that we were able to find and teach this family. I am inexplicably grateful for the Lord's hand in this work and especially in my life. 

I know that as we continue to be obedient we will continue to see miracles in this work. There is no disobedience that is worth jeopardizing that. 

I love you all so much!
-Sister Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment