Monday, August 25, 2014

Ride 'em, Cowgirl! (or should I say 'carabao-girl'?!?)

Well, like any week in the life and mission of Sister Miller, this one was full of fun, excitement. and a little bit of living on the edge. Well, as close to the edge as you can get being a missionary!!

This week I was given the opportunity to cross off something on my Philippine's bucket list: "Ride a Carabao" -- CHECK!! The Wrights, the senior couple who serve part time, have a house and a small farm here in San Marcelino and when they discovered the pure joy that would come into my life if I were able to ride a Carabou, (a domestic water buffalo) they invited us over for lunch. Now having lunch with the Wrights is amazing enough, but to add to the excitement, they said I could ride their Carabou!! OF COURSE I SAID I WOULD LOVE TO!!! It was sooooo cool! I put on a Filipino hat, strapped a Filipino knife around my waist, and I was ready!!  Elder and Sister Wright were cracking up but I was having the time of my life! 

Ready, set....

Ride!!!

Hope I can last 8 seconds!!! ;-)
I really love and appreciate Brother and Sister Wright. They have been like parents out here in the field the past couple of months. They serve part time in Masinloc (my previous area) but live here in San Marcelino (my new area) and I am so happy that I will still get to see them.  They even went to Olongapo to get me Krispy Kreme donuts when they found out that that KK was my favorite donut place! I feel like I am so well looked after here. Not only do I have amazing leaders and fellow missionaries, but I can always feel Heavenly Father's love and protecting hand in my day to day work.

I traded a box of Thin Mints and it was SOOOOO worth it!!!
President Thomas S. Monson said, "Your Heavenly Father loves you--each of you. That love never changes. It is not influenced by your appearance, by your possessions, or by the amount of money you have in your bank account. God's love is there for you whether or not you feel you deserve love. It is simply always there."

I can honestly say that I have felt that love in my life and as I have served the people of the Philippines, I get a glimpse of the love Heavenly Father feels for them. I was sitting in a lesson this week when we had to tell an investigator that we had to push his baptism date back because of his addiction/relapse of smoking. He was devastated. I just wanted to know the right thing to say to comfort him because in that moment I could feel the love our Heavenly Father has for him. As children of God, there is no barrier between us and His love. As President Monson said, God's love is unconditional. 

I love to see when the people here realize the truthfulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The work is definitely hastening. I think that as the world grows further and further away from God, religion, or anything pure and good, it's almost easier for those who really want to know the truth to see that this is God's plan...for us to return to live with Him through faith, repentance. baptism. receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end.

I know with all of my heart that this is the one and only truth, the one and only plan, and the one and only way to obtain happiness in this life and eternal life in the world to come.

I am so proud to be an instrument in Heavenly Father's hand to bring His children home, to help them feel of His love in their lives. I love this work, I love Heavenly Father, and I love the people of the Philippines.

Don't worry, I didn't forget about you guys... I LOVE YOU ALL, TOO!!

-Sister Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment