Monday, September 8, 2014

Do We Really Know What We Have?

I was reading a book about missionary work the other day and in the very back was the experience of two missionaries in Germany. It goes a little something like this... hit it! (That's a little 90's Aaron Carter throw back for ya! :))

Anyways, as these two missionaries were out knocking on doors and finding no success, they spotted a woman smiling at them. When they walked over towards her, she excitedly invited them into her home. Shocked, the missionaries asked if she knew who they were. The lady responded, "You want to talk about religion, don't you?" "Yes, we do", the missionaries replied.  "Oh, come in. I've been watching you walk around this neighborhood. I'm so excited to have you here. Please come into my study." The lady proceeded to sit the missionaries down and point out her three PhD's: one in Theology, the study of religion, one in Philosophy, the study of ideas, and one in European History specializing in Christianity. She continued by pointing to a row of large, thick books. She had written them all. She was a Theology professor at the University of Munich and had been studying religion for over 41 years. Talk about intimidating! I can only imagine what these missionaries must have felt at this very moment. I would probably have frozen up. These missionaries listened to the Spirit and brought up the Book of Mormon. "I don't know anything about the Book of Mormon." the lady said. "I know." the missionary replied. The missionaries introduced the Book of Mormon and twenty minutes later were out the door. I'm sure they were happy to be out of there and could never imagine what would take place just eight weeks later. 

In eight weeks, that lady had read all of the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, the Pearl of Great Price, all of Talmage's great writings, Evidence and Reconciliations by John A. Widsoe and 22 other volumes of church doctrine. Talk about a book worm! This woman, who had spent the majority of her life studying religion, related her life before she met the missionaries to Amos 8:11, "Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord." She said she had been in a famine for 76 years. She had been hungering for the truth and had been unable to find it. She then said something that hit me pretty hard, "I don't think you members know what you have." 

Do we realize that most of the world is in famine? Do we realize that they are starving for what we have? I know for a fact that the people of the world don't even realize what they are missing. Sometimes it frustrates me so much when people won't just read the Book of Mormon. They don't understand the importance of what they are holding in their hands. If the Book of Mormon is true then Joesph Smith is a true prophet of God. If Joseph Smith is a prophet then the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint is the only true church with God's authority here on Earth. It's as simple as that. 

Everyday I bear my testimony that I know the Book of Mormon is true, that Joseph Smith was a prophet, and that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Christ's church reestablished here on Earth. I am so sure of this. All it takes to gain this testimony is to read. Read the Book of Mormon and ask Heavenly Father if it is true. I know, without a doubt that through faith and the Holy Ghost, the truth will be made manifest to you. 

I am so grateful that I am not experiencing  famine. I am so grateful for this Gospel and the Book of Mormon in my life. I know that it is true. 

I love you all so much!
-Sister Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment