Monday, December 8, 2014

"Be Preparrrrrrred!!!" -- The Lion King

Helllllo family and friends!! 

I learned something interesting this week. Did you know that “the Philippines is one of the most disaster-prone countries in the world with frequent exposures to earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, typhoons, flooding, and landslides”? (National Disaster Coordinating Council website) 

Well this week there is a super typhoon in the Philippines. We found out about it on Thursday and it has been on and off havoc since then. There have been basically non-stop texts coming from the assistants to the Mission President giving us directions about what we need to do to be ready. We are evacuating later tonight to get to "safer ground". Not to worry though, we are being taken care of and I'm positive that everything will be okay.

In all the chaos I have actually learned a lot! We read in the scriptures, "Watch, therefore, that ye may be ready" (D&C 50:46) I am so thankful that we are being prepared for this storm. I think it is a perfect parallel for life in general and the role missionary work plays. We are all preparing for the storms of life. As we watch, as the scriptures direct, I know that we will be ready. Ready for any challenges we may face. Ready for life's problems. Ready to return to our Father in Heaven. As missionaries, it's our job to raise the warning voice and help others see the path or know the things which they must do in order to be ready or to obtain their exhalation. No matter where we are in life, there is always more preparation to be taken. I know that as we follow the teachings of Christ and are obedient, we will be ready. We can 'watch' through the little things we should do everyday, especially prayer and scripture study. I know that as we are being prepared through the little things, when the storm comes we will be saved.

I love this gospel and the knowledge it gives me. I can't wait to return to my loving Heavenly Father, embrace Him in a hug, and say 'I did my best!' I know that He will take care of the rest.

I love you all!
-Sister Miller
The classic after FHE picture. When we are playing games and you mess up, you get a mark of lipstick on your face. We went straight home after this but didn't wash off our faces until we got there. The trike driver was cracking up and kept saying how great we looked, then he only charged us half of the normal rate. I told Sister Cagata that we should wear lipstick on our faces everyday to save on travel expenses... :)

This is what kids do after the rice is harvested. They find bamboo sticks and play baseball!! I joined in the game, channeled my inner Royals player, and hit a home run! All the kids thought it was hilarious to see me running the bases in my skirt! 

No comments:

Post a Comment