Monday, March 17, 2014

Proud to be an American!

Magandang araw!!
Today has been one CRAZY day!! We woke up early and went to a Philippine national monument with a senior couple. It is called Mount Samat. It is a memorial for all of the Filipino and American soldiers who lost their lives in WWII. It's a HUGE cross on the top of a mountain that you can take an elevator up and walk around. The view from the top was incredible! It was a little overcast so my pictures didn't come out as cool as it actually looked but they're still pretty awesome. It was really cool to be at a memorial and museum about American troops but not in America. It was like seeing it through the eyes of a different people, if that makes sense. It made me feel a little home sick since we would always go to museums and stuff as a family! I definitely felt the spirit of America there and it made me glad to be blessed to have been born in the land of the free and home of the brave. 'MERICA!! 


I also had another baptism this week. It was for the San Jose family and brother John Cris. The father of the San Jose family had been less-active for many years but the missionaries started visiting him and he has since returned. This particular night he baptized his wife and son. It was so sweet to see them all together and to see them in an eternal perspective as a forever family. Brother John Cris is awesome! He had struggled with a Word of Wisdom problem but worked hard and has been clean of all cigarettes and alcohol for over a month! It was amazing to see how proud of himself he is and how happy he was to be worthy of baptism. Even though I've only been here for a few weeks, I already love these people so much! I am so grateful to be a part of their stories!


I went into Sister Ete'aki's area this week for exchanges. She was my companion in the MTC and it was so fun to be able to get together and see how much both of us have grown since the days we struggled to spit out a complete sentence in Tagalog. Her area is awesome, too. We walked through a bunch of rice fields and visited her goals for baptism. I love to talk to different people and hear about the different journeys that are taking them all to the same place--baptism and eventually returning to live with their Heavenly Father. 


I love it here and, although I face challenges everyday, it is all worth it when I look back at the end of the week and see how I have helped people feel the Savior's love for them and grow closer to Him. I hope when my journey is over and I look back over my entire mission, I will be able to do so with no regrets. 

I love you all! Thank you so much for your support!!
Love,
Sister Miller

This is a bridge we walk on every once in a while. It's literally just a few bamboo sticks right over the ocean!! 

There's a whole neighborhood built out over the ocean!! It's crazy and wobbly and scary and super fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment