Monday, February 24, 2014

Ain't No Mountain High Enough.....

I've decided,after some prompting from my mother, to write a little sum sum for each day this week to give you all a sweet taste of what it's like to be a missionary!

Monday- P-day! (Preparation Day)
Today I went shopping!! I have been told my wardrobe may be a little too casual so I've decided to give into the standard Sister Missionary pastel button up shirt look. We hit a couple Ukay Ukay stores today. They are basically the same thing as thrift shops in America. If you know me well, you know I LOVE finding little treasures in thrift shops. I found some cute tops that are a little dressier.
We then went to Family Home Evening and had a great time. Our lesson was about Family History and Temple Work and how important they are for all of us. We also played a game where, instead of leaving the game when you get out, you got a stripe of lipstick on your face instead. It was hilarious!!

Tuesday
After many appointments falling through today, my companion and I decided to look for new people to teach. We started at the bottom of a mountain and talked to everyone we met until we reached the top...and I mean the VERY top. There was no real road and barely a stone path. We were surrounded by trees and very little houses. After climbing up and up and up and talking to lots of people we didn't have any return appointments. We decided to keep going just to see how far we could go up. At the last house at the very, VERY top of the mountain was a lady who came out of her house as we passed and just started talking to us. She told us that there was nothing else in the direction we were headed. We started talking about the gospel and she said she really wanted us to come back! It just goes to show that sometime we have to climb mountains before finding people who are ready to receive this gospel!

Wednesday
Just a normal day here in the Peenes! We are really struggling to find new people to teach! We focused on getting referrals today but unfortunately didn't get any! :( I was able to visit most of my recent converts today. Since I'm probably getting transferred to a new area next week, I want to see them as much as possible before I leave. I love them all so much and am going to miss them!! They are like my family here!

Thursday
 Woohooo for exchanges!! As part of being Sister Training Leader, I get to go into other Sister's areas and evaluate their work and help them with anything they may need. Today I was working with Sister Cardenas. She is Filipina and got here the same time I did. We had a great time and I liked seeing her area. 

Friday
This morning I woke up with the WORST stomach pain! I immediately went to the bathroom, or CR (comfort room) here in the Peenes, and threw up. I was sick all day! I slept until about noon when I woke up and decided that I had to go to work! We had a return appointment with that new investigator, the one at the top of the mountain from Tuesday, and I didn't want to break it. Well, it may not have been the best idea but I did it anyway. We had to stop many times on the way up. I felt like an old lady!! But once we got there we had an awesome lesson and the lady committed to baptism!! It made the trek up there all worth it!!
We also went to the Branch Post-Valentines day party. I was feeling a little better by then so I had a good time. All the missionaries got wrangled into playing Charades and my team selected me to act. The topic was Biblical couples. I did my best and after five rounds, my team won!! 

Saturday
Today we visited the members who are the farthest out in our area. It takes us 15 minutes by trike to get to the head of the trail that leads to their house. After another 20 minuets of walking, we finally arrived. The whole family are members but they are all less active now. I have taught them most of my mission but this was my last visit because I'm probably leaving the area next week. There were many pictures taken and letters exchanged. I made a final plea for them to come back to church and I hope it made a difference. 

Sunday
My last Sunday in Branch 1. It was just another normal Sabbath. Everyone came up to me and said their goodbyes and again there were many pictures. We went out after church and taught all of our progressing investigators. One of them is the sibling of an active member. We have taught him and his family only a couple of times but they committed to baptism! He shared how he prayed to know if this was the true church and then opened up the Book of Mormon to a random page and read. He said he was totally sure he got his answer and that he knows it's true! You could feel the Spirit so strong!!

Overall, it was an awesome week and there's so much more I could say but am short on time. I love missionary life despite sometimes feeling sick or not being able to find new people to teach. I know that Heavenly Father is here helping us on our way and that He will bless us immensely after all we can do! 

I love you all!
-Sister Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment